If you're a RIM fan, you probably already heard about the new tablet they launched. It's called the PlayBook and it's not just another tablet on the market, it stands out quite a lot and you'll see why. Honestly, I never thought that there will be an iPad competitor that will get so close to the iPad. If you ask me, the best iPad killer is the PlayBook.
I also never thought that people will be so excited about this tablet. I know this tablet is very important, much important than the new BlackBerry Torch and will probably be much important than the BlackBerry Storm 3 too because it brings something new in the tablet market and you'll see what specifically in the specs I added to the post below.
The tablet is only 7" wide and I honestly think that that's a little too low but thanks God it doesn't have the format of the Samsung's tablet because it would really look like a giant phone then. Anyway, they made it that big to be portable.
It also has a front facing camera which is very good aspect because you can make video chats like so. This became a must have on the tablets these days.
Unfortunately, the apps from the BlackBerrys doesn't work at all on the PlayBook but soon, there will be plenty of apps for it too.
Fortunately, it has another OS than the BlackBerry phones so they didn't take the Samsung's example of taking the Android OS which wasn't optimised for tablets on a tablet. The main reason of why so many people talk about this tablet and why it is so special is because it has a dual core 1GHz processor which is quite big for a tablet and never seen before on another tablet. You also get 1GB of RAM memory which should make this table real fast.
Now people expect from it to be the God of all tablets and I have to say that I've seen a lot of clips on youtube with it and if it isn't that good, at least it gets closer.
It has a 3MP front facing camera and a 5MP rear facing camera and it supports 1080p HD recording video. It also weights around a pound which is not too much, it's enough foor its sizes comparing to the other tablets I guess. Here are the full specifications of this tablet:
- 7-inch LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
- BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- 1 GB RAM
- Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
- Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
- Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
- HDMI video output
- Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
- Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
- Ultra thin and portable:
- Measures 5.1"x7.6"x0.4" (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
- Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
- RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.